These days we have health tips here there and everywhere. The wonder cures are so vast, varied and often contradictory that it's sometimes hard to know what is actually good for you. One tip that has stood the test of time however is one of the simplest and cheapest around!
Drinking warm lemon water, what could be simpler?
Also, in my opinion it does actually make you feel pretty fantastic even after a couple of days. As a Yogi and Ayurvedic therapist I will start with a little bit of the Eastern perspective on why this humble health tip is really one worth having a go at.
Ayurveda is the "Science of life" in English and tells us that making this simple addition to your morning routine is a great step towards preventing or even curing some disease. Ama in Ayurvedic science is similar to what you or I may think of as toxins. Most people have some level of toxins (Ama) accumulated in their bodies but if Ama is allowed to stay present in the body for a long time and build up then this can lead to disease. Ayurveda says that the affects of drinking warm lemon water in the morning helps to soften the Ama in the body before it has time to set deeper and become a bigger problem for the person. The water must be warm because both cold and hot water can be a surprise to the system, therefore they will not flush the Ama (toxins) out in the same way as a warm drink will. The properties of the lemon help with cleansing. Also, if you wanted to stimulate your Agni, which is the digestive fire (metabolism) then add in some fresh ginger as well. The warming qualities of the ginger are great if your digestion needs a little boost or are feeling generally sluggish.
Here are 10 more reasons:
1.The health benefits of lemons and drinking lemon water have been known for centuries or even millennia in many cultures.
2. Lemons’ have strong antibacterial, antiviral, and immune-boosting properties, hence why it is such a popular ingredient in cold remedies.
3. Lemons are a rich source of Vitamin C which is why they are so great for fighting colds, you can never have too much Vitamin C either.
4. They are also a source of Potassium which is good for the brain & nerve functions.
5. Lemons are good for balancing your PH. They have an Alkaline affect inside the body. They are acidic on their own, but when consumed they're alkaline.
6. Drinking warm lemon water is great for digestion and assimilation.
The warm water serves to stimulate the gastrointestinal tract and flush through any blockages or baddies in the digestive system. Lemons are high in vitamins and minerals that help to remove toxins, it is also a diuretic so it flushes out the system because it increases the rate of urination. Toxic material or Ama is therefore, expelled at a faster rate which helps your body stay healthy. As previously mentioned in the Ayurveda section, this is just a different explanation of the same idea.
7. It brings you one step closer to a flawless complexion too. Lemon water purges toxins from the blood which helps the skin stay blemish free, and the body is more rehydrated by warm water so after a little time on this stuff the skin starts to look and feel more hydrated and smooth.
8. By starting the day off well hydrated you also help to keep your lymphatic and adrenal systems healthy.
When your body becomes dehydrated it can't function as well. You may become dizzy, tired, stressed, constipated, irritable etc. Your adrenals and thyroid contribute to creating energy. So, why not keep em happy and healthy? Maybe you won't hit that afternoon slump as hard as you used to.
9. Lemon is one of the few foods that contain more negative charged ions, providing your body with more energy when it enters the digestive tract.
10. The scent of lemon is also a mood enhancer and has energising properties. The smell of lemon juice and zest can make you feel happier, clearer, and more awake. There is also research to suggest that Lemon can help reduce feelings of anxiety and depression. Lemon essential oil is also good for this.
Here are just some of the great benefits of adopting this simple change into your daily routine.
So, What are you waiting for ??? Stock up and give it a go!
What to do:
It is really simple and cheap, make a cup of warm water (filtered if you can) and add in the juice of around half a lemon. Use fresh lemon (organic ideally) and make sure the water isn't hot. Drink it in the morning first thing, sip steadily and enjoy :)
Look out for the follow up to this Post "Creating an Ayurvedic morning routine". If this is you, maybe you need it?
SO, start off simply with the lemon water and see if you can start to create a fuller routine down the line.
But, if you can only make time for one ritual that will improve your health, let it be this.....
Thanks for reading!